With a vast selection of vitamins and
supplements available in the market, fish oil is one among them that are chosen
by many. So what makes fish oil the go-to supplement for most people? In this
article, we are going to tackle what fish oil is all about and what it’s good
for. Let’s dive in.
- Fish oil is not just your ordinary oil. It is a fish fat extract that’s rich in omega 3-fatty acids such as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Both of these nutrients are only found on fish and dietary supplements such as krill oil, cod liver oil, and algal oil, especially in vegetarian products.
Why Taking Fish Oil is Important
- The Omega-3 found on fish oil plays a vital role in your diet. Both EPA and DHA help support eye, brain, and heart health. And it doesn’t end there; fish oil also provides relief for people suffering symptoms from rheumatoid arthritis. It can also aid various mental disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, and lastly, schizophrenia.
Is Taking Fish Oil and Eating Fish the Same?
- Comparing both, eating fish is still your best option if you want to get the nutrients you need in a jiffy. A whole fish contains more vitamins and minerals along with EPA and DHA compared to taking fish oil supplements. However, if your diet doesn’t let you eat fish, then taking fish oil supplements is your only alternative.
What to Do Before Taking Fish Oil Supplements
- Now that you’ve decided to add fish oil to your daily diet regimen, it’s better to have a trip to your doctor’s office first for a consultation. Keep in mind that some fish oil supplements are high in vitamin A. And too much vitamin A intake can cause various health issues such as liver damage and bone pain.
- If you’re doctor approves, then it’s time to find the right fish oil supplement for you. When scouting for such, don’t forget to check the label first and read its contents carefully as different fish oils vary in both quality and ingredients. Opt for fish oils that are third-party tested for purity or the ones that have a seal of purity from the Global Organization of EPA and DHA. And lastly, keep your newly bought fish oil supplements at room temperature to keep it last for long.