Welcome to the 8th International Conference
Concrete is used globally and the components are widely available. The activity of construction is also global and both advanced and developing countries aspire to improve living conditions and infrastructure that consumes large quantities of energy and materials continuously. A different attitude to concrete, manufacture and use needs to be developed if we are to address, if not redress, the consequences of in-action.
Concrete in some form or another is responsible for our civilised well-being. However, its manufacture and use also require substantial energy use and carbon dioxide emissions and the consequences are global.
We all have a duty of care to behave responsibly and the issues of profligacy with respect to these along with related wasteful and polluting activities need to be dealt with. To do this in a committed and balanced way requires both knowledge and experience.
Dundee, over the last three decades, has provided such fora during its conferences in the field of concrete and related materials and this conference will address the causes and solutions as far as concrete and other cementitious products are concerned. Within the themes of the event, the issues of production, use, design, longevity and sustainability will be addressed. In this regard we all have to find an acceptable balance if not a solution. There would seem to be little doubt that carbon-based economies and infrastructure-driven activities will have to increasingly address these.
The University of Dundee and, specifically, the Concrete Technology Unit has played a dominant role in exchange of information and professional interaction between all involved in concrete whatever the disciplines. This conference will be equally relevant and informative. It is an opportunity to consolidate progress and to discuss options and experience.
- Professor M R Jones, Chairman, University of Dundee
- Dr M D Newlands, Secretary, University of Dundee
- Dr M J McCarthy, University of Dundee
- Dr T D Dyer, University of Dundee
- Dr L J Csetenyi, University of Dundee
- Dr J E Halliday, University of Dundee
- Dr L Zheng, University of Dundee
- Mr S R Scott, University of Dundee
- Professor P C Hewlett*, John Doyle Construction Ltd, UK
- Professor T A Harrison*, Private Consultant, UK
- Professor P Chana*, Mineral Products Association, UK
* Visiting Industrial Professors to University of Dundee
Scientific and Technical Committee
- Dr S Al-Otaib, Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research, Kuwait
- Professor N Banthia, The University of British Columbia, Canada
- Dr P C Borges, CINVESTAV - Merida, Mexico
- Dr S Caliskan, Saudi Aramco, Saudi Arabia
- Professor M Changwen, Jiangsu Institute of Building Science, China
- Professor D Damidot, Ecole des Mines de Douai, France
- Professor R I Gilbert, University of New South Wales, Australia
- Mr S Helland, Skanska Norge AS, Norway
- Professor G Kaklauskas, Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Lithuania
- Dr E Kearsley, University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Mr R Mangabhai, Mangabhai Consulting, UK
- Professor B H Oh, Korea
- Professor I Papayianni, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- Dr A Princigallo, CTG - Italcementi Group, Italy
- Professor S P Singh, Dr B R Amebedkar National Insitute of Technology, Jalandhar, India
- Professor M Sugiyama, Hokkai-Gauken University, Japan
- Professor R Tepfers, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Professor M Thomas, University of New Brunswick, Canada
- Professor K van Breugel, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
- Professor S Wei, Souheast University, China
Conference News in Brief
Please check this page regularly as it may be updated periodically.
Call for Papers
We are still accepting papers for Themes 4, 5 and 6 and as before authors will be asked to submit a 300 word abstract of their proposed paper.
Submission of Final Papers
Deadline for submission of Final Papers is 1 March 2012.
Registration is now Open
Authors and Delegates can now register for the Conference, but please remember the early bird fee is highly recommended and will finish on 18 May 2012. Book early to avoid additional cost and disappointment. Register here
Help and Guidelines
- Presentation Instructions for Authors can be downloaded at here Presentation Instructions
- Joining Instructions for all delegates giving details of Conference venue and Registration Times can be downloaded
here Joining Instructions